About the 2019 Design Thinking Challenge
2019 Corporate Partner & Session Facilitator: Deloitte
2019 Corporate Partners & Session Hosts: PayPal, Tesla Energy, Tesla Vehicle, Lockheed Martin, and WhatsApp
Part 1: Our session hosts, PayPal, Tesla, Lockheed Martin, and WhatsApp, each presented and discussed real-world challenges (Challenge Topics) to the conference.
Part 2: Students joined our session facilitators, Deloitte, and our session hosts, PayPal, Tesla, Lockheed Martin, and WhatsApp in various breakout rooms, where each session host presented their problem statement.
Part 3: Students worked through the interview phases, framed the problem and began ideation – “how might we”…
Part 4: Students moved from ideation to prototyping and testing, and then presented to their breakout room.
Part 5: Winning teams identified in consultation with session facilitators and hosts, were then brought on stage to present to the conference and collect their prizes!
- PayPal Cyber: How can we prevent cyber bullying and make social media safer?
- PayPal Mobile: How can mobile banking help promote local businesses?
- Tesla Energy: How can we get schools to adopt sustainable energy?
- Tesla Vehicle: If all vehicles were autonomous, how would you design the cars and road system to be as safe and fast as possible?
- Tesla Vehicle: How might Tesla update our current fleet to be more fun, safe, and secure?
- Lockheed Martin: How do we clean up space debris?
- WhatsApp: How can we bring secure private messaging to more people?
Prizes and Tours
This year’s winners won behind-the-scenes tours of the PayPal headquarters in San Jose, California and the Tesla Factory in Fremont, California! They also received one of these amazing prizes donated by Deloitte!
- Helicopter Drone: Pocket drone perfect for indoor and outdoor flying, with multiple speeds and flip-capable, foldable arms make it a perfect grab-and-go drone for the road.
- Smartphone Picture Printer: Scan your smartphone’s screen and instantly print retro-style photos, no cords necessary.
- Water Bottle with Smart Lid: Connect your water bottle with your smartphone via app to measure the intake of liquids while providing real-time temperature readings and daily-intake recommendations based on your personal data.
- Wireless Charging Pad: Compatible with all Qi-enabled smartphones, just lay your phone on the charging pad to power up and simplify your space.
Recognized by the California State Legislature as a premier kids’ interactive learning program for exploring careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (S.T.E.A.M.), Dare 2B Digital (www.dare2bdigital.org @dare2bdigital) inspires young innovators through interactive, hands-on learning experiences. Dare 2B Digital is a program of the Invent Your Future Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization presented by Invent Your Future Enterprises (www.inventyourfuture.com @IYFNews).